How can you tell when your shower head needs to be cleaned? Numerous studies found the presence of dangerous bacteria on shower systems which cause lung infections. Additionally, individuals may experience having skin rashes and allergies during or just after a shower.
As a result, it is necessary to understand how to effectively clean this important item in your bathroom. You may learn how to clean your shower head at home by referring to the guide below.
What Are The Signs That You Need To Deep Clean Your Shower Head?
Before we discuss how to clean your shower head, you need to make sure your shower set needs to be cleaned. If the following signs apply to you, it is time to thoroughly clean your shower head.
- Water pressure varies.
- Water occasionally sprays.
- More than three of the ducts are broken.
- There are obvious traces of buildup or limescale on the head.
Once you are certain about the issue of your shower head, it is now time to know how to descale it and prevent these issues from happening again.
Reasons Why My Shower Head Is Blocked
You might be confused as to why your shower head still clogs even if you regularly clean your bathroom. Just like tap/faucets, large amounts of water are continuously released by shower heads, and over time these water droplets transform into mineral deposits that eventually harden. This can lead to a build-up of dirt and debris in the nozzles. Similar to why your bidet spray is leaking, the build-up can reduce the capacity of your shower to release water properly over time.
Your shower head will frequently have white limescale that resembles chalk from the accumulation of debris. Limescale build-up not only looks bad, but it also affects the quality of your shower. Limescale can occasionally be found inside shower ducts. Due to this, your shower will have inconsistent water flow which is bad.
At this point, you might want to start looking into buying new shower head products or looking into installing rain shower sets. But if you wish to retain your current shower head, you can follow our simple instructions to cleaning your shower head. The water flow levels in your shower will surely be restored to their ideal state.
Ways to Clean A Ceiling or Wall Mounted Shower Head
Shower heads that are fixed on the ceiling or wall, such as the Rubine RSC-INOX-R8-3361R2-AF Rainshower Set With Mixer Tap, are more difficult to clean than handheld showers because, more often than not, they cannot be removed without having a plumber to do it. Luckily, it is still possible to clean the nasty limescale off of these types of shower head.
Rubine RSC-INOX-R8-3361R2-AF Rainshower Set With Mixer Tap
- Model: RSC-INOX-R8-3361R2-AF
- Type: Rainshower Column With Mixer
- Material: Mixer (Brass), Column (SUS201), Handshower (ABS), Overhead shower (SUS304)
- Surface Finishing: Electroplated
- Colour: Chrome
- No. of Spray: 1 (Overhead shower) / 3 (Handshower)
- Water Efficiency: 3 ticks
- Water Consumption: 4.80 litres/min
- PUB Reg No.: SHT-2014/014465
- Package Included: Overhead Shower + Shower Column + Handshower + Mixer + Hose + Mounting Hardware
- Warranty (T&C’s Apply): 1 Year Parts + Service / 7 Years On Cartridge And Diverter
It might be necessary to remove the shower head if your shower lacks a quick release function. However, if you cannot do this, just follow the next instructions.
Grab some white vinegar—be sure it’s white distilled vinegar—and a sturdy plastic bag once the head has been removed.
Put vinegar in a plastic bag. In order to completely submerge the shower head, make sure to use a generous enough amount of white vinegar.
The fixed shower head should be placed in the vinegar, and the plastic bag should be securely tied with a rubber band or string.
Then, for one to two hours, submerge the shower head in vinegar to ensure that the acidic deposits in the vinegar have broken down all of the grimy limescale.
Pull the bag away from the shower head by untying it. Use a toothbrush to remove any extra dirt.
Make sure the shower is turned on and the hot water is running for 30 seconds after the head has been reattached. This will help in completely clearing the ducts.
Apply some CIF cleaner as a last polish to the head. After this, the shower head should be completely cleaned.
Ways To Clean A Handheld Shower Head
The flexibility of handheld shower head or shower set such as Fidelis FSS566305 makes them easier to clean.
Fidelis FSS56305 Shower Set
- Brand: Fidelis
- Model: FSS56305
- Type of product: Shower Set
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Body: Chrome finish
- Colour: Silver Chrome
Remove Handheld Head
There are two methods for removing a handheld shower head:
- You should be able to quickly and simply remove the shower head from the hose on the majority of contemporary shower types.
- If this is not the case and you are unable to remove the shower head at all, use the following method to do so. The handheld shower has to be removed first. Similar to a bidet spray, a hose runs from the wall to the head of the machine. Follow the hose to the wall where it attaches. When the hose connects to the wall pipe, clamp an adjustable wrench there and twist counter clockwise. Once free, you should be able to manually unscrew the remaining parts. Drain any remaining water in the hose.
Get a Bag and White Vinegar
Take a plastic bag and fill it with white vinegar. When the blocked head has been removed, submerge the head in the bag with the limescale-infested parts. Use an elastic band to secure the bag. Let it soak and dissolve the build-up for around one to two hours. Blockages are more likely to be removed the longer the head is submerged in vinegar.
Leave Vinegar to Soak
The vinegar should have done its job and eliminated the limescale within 1 to 2 hours. Then, you will need to give the shower head a quick cleaning. To thoroughly clean your shower nozzles, you may use an old toothbrush to deep clean your shower nozzles. A quick brush will remove any dirt that may still be there as the vinegar should have previously cleaned the majority of the surface.
Do A Quick Polishing
Reattach your handheld shower head to your shower system after giving it one final cleaning with a towel. To remove any leftover filth, it is crucial to switch on the shower head and let the hot water flow for 30 to 60 seconds.
How To Prevent Another Limescale Build-up On Your Shower Head?
By taking these steps, limescale build-up can be avoided forming on your shower head or other bathroom products:
- Use a dry cloth to clean the shower head and its ducts. By doing this, you will prevent shower or condensation droplets from absorbing into the head and causing build-up over time.
- Knowing how often your shower head needs to be cleaned. Applying our vinegar method once a month or so will help you stay on track and get rid of any remaining limescale particles.
All in all, you have to keep in mind that if your shower head is not spraying properly, it might need some good cleaning. With that, you can start by detaching the shower head. Next, fill a plastic bag with a generous amount of white distilled vinegar. Then, submerge the shower head in the vinegar inside the plastic bag. Tie the shower head to the plastic bag with a string or rubber band. After 1 or 2 hours, remove the shower head from the bag and brush away the other remaining dirt.
If your shower set needs replacement, consider contacting Everyhome Singapore. We offer a variety of the latest home and bathroom products that you can choose from. Our high-quality brands can provide you with convenience to avoid frequently having unstable water flow. For any more of your home product needs, you may check out our products and services.
Everyhome Singapore is an online home and bathroom supply store where you can shop for your home without ever needing to step out of your house across categories like a water heater, toilet bowl, aircon, shower set, bidet spray, tap, sanitary ware, bathroom accessories and more.
WhatsApp us at +65 8241 0032 with your home product needs and we will provide suitable recommendations based on your unique requirements. Check out our product buying guides and encyclopaedia of product articles to learn more about home products. We are also able to provide installation services - contact us for the best pricing!