Wash basins are a common fixture found in any bathroom. People use them for handwashing, teeth brushing, and other hygiene-related tasks. With various shapes, sizes, and materials available, choosing the right wash basin in Singapore can greatly impact the overall functionality and aesthetics of your bathroom. There are several types available in Singapore. Here are the most common types of wash basins:
Above Counter Wash Basin
Also known as a vessel sink, an above-counter wash basin sits on top of the bathroom counter, adding a unique look to the bathroom. It comes in materials like porcelain, glass, and stone, and can be found in round, oval, or square shapes.
- Stylish and modern, making them a great choice for contemporary bathrooms.
- Available in various materials, allowing you to match your bathroom’s decor.
- Easy to install without any modifications to the bathroom counter.
- They may require extra cleaning as dirt and grime can accumulate around the sink.
- They may not be suitable for households with young children or elderly individuals who may find it difficult to reach the sink.
The Saniton Vinca Above-counter Wash Basin SB1891 is a sleek and modern basin made from high-quality ceramic, with a glossy white finish and a spacious bowl. Its above-counter design makes it easy to install and gives it a unique look, making it a great choice for contemporary bathroom designs.
Under Counter Wash Basin
Another type of wash basin is the under-counter wash basin. They are also referred to as inset sink. This type of basin is installed underneath the bathroom counter, creating a sleek and seamless appearance. Brackets or adhesives are used to secure the basin to the counter, which is cut to fit the sink perfectly.
- Under-counter washbasins offer a sleek and minimalist design – making them a popular choice for modern bathrooms.
- They are easy to clean since there are no exposed edges or corners where dirt and grime can accumulate.
- These basins are suitable for households with young children or elderly individuals as they are easily accessible.
- They may require professional wash basin installation as the counter needs to be cut to fit the sink.
- They may be relatively more expensive compared to other types of wash basins.
Counter Top Wash Basin
A countertop wash basin, also known as a drop-in sink, is installed on top of a bathroom counter, but the rim of the sink sits on the counter surface. The basin is secured to the counter with brackets or adhesive.
- Countertop washbasins are easy to install and do not require extensive modifications to your bathroom counter.
- They offer a wide range of material options, allowing you to choose the one that best complements your bathroom decor.
- Cleaning is hassle-free as countertop washbasins have a flat surface with no exposed edges or corners.
- They may not have the sleek and modern appearance of above-counter or under-counter wash basins.
An example of a high-quality countertop wash basin is the Rubine QTRO 60M Countertop Rectangular Wash Basin. It features a scratch-resistant surface and the ceramic material used in its construction is highly resistant to scratches and marks. The basin’s rectangular shape and clean lines make it a stylish addition to any bathroom, while its countertop installation provides flexibility in positioning. Additionally, the spacious bowl with ample depth makes it easy to use for various purposes.
Wall Hung Wash Basin
A wash basin is installed directly onto the bathroom wall. Common reasons that people install wall-hung basins are because it saves space, all while looking elegant. The basin is secured to the wall with brackets or hangers.
- Wall-hung wash basins are perfect for small bathrooms as they take up minimal floor space.
- They are relatively easy to clean.
- Wall-hung wash basins are suitable for households with young children or elderly people as the height at which you install them is adjustable.
- Wall-hung wash basins may require professional installation as they need to be secured to the wall correctly.
The Saniton Jasmine Wall Hung Wash Basin SB1300 is a great example of a wall-hung basin. It’s a sleek and stylish addition to any modern bathroom. Its wall-hung design not only saves space but also provides a unique and contemporary look. Additionally, the basin comes with a pre-drilled faucet hole, making it easy to install and use with any compatible faucet. The rear overflow feature ensures that water does not overflow, keeping the basin clean and hygienic.
Corner Wash Basin
An essential factor to keep in mind before buying a wash basin is your bathroom’s space. A corner wash basin, as the name suggests, is designed to fit into a corner of the bathroom. It is available in various materials, including porcelain, glass, and stone. Thus, it’s a good option for cramped bathrooms where you will need extra space.
- Corner washbasins are perfect if you are looking for a wash basin that does not take up much space.
- They are available in various materials.
- They are relatively easy to clean.
- Corner washbasins may not be suitable for households with multiple users as they only have one tap hole.
Freestanding Wash Basin
A freestanding wash basin, also known as a pedestal sink, is a classic and elegant design that is still popular today. The basin sits on a pedestal, which conceals the plumbing and gives it a timeless look.
- Freestanding wash basins are perfect for traditional or period-style bathrooms.
- You can choose a freestanding wash basin that matches your overall bathroom theme as they are available in various materials.
- They are easy to clean as they do not have any exposed edges or corners for dirt and grime to accumulate.
- They may not be as practical as other types of washbasins, as they don’t offer any storage space.
- Freestanding wash basins may require professional installation as the pedestal needs to be secured correctly.
Semi Recessed Wash Basin
A semi-recessed wash basin is designed to sit partially within a bathroom counter, with the top of the basin sitting above the counter surface. The basin is secured to the counter with brackets or adhesive.
- Semi-recessed washbasins are perfect for bathrooms with limited space, as they take up minimal counter space.
- It is easy to clean and maintain the semi-recessed wash basin.
- They may not be as stylish or modern-looking as other types of wash basins.
Maintenance and Cleaning Tips for Wash Basins
Before worrying about proper maintenance and cleaning, you should be equipped with the right knowledge about the different factors when choosing sanitary ware. This is so that you can know how to tell if sanitary ware is of good quality. A good quality wash basin will last long if properly maintained, compared to one with poor quality that will deteriorate even if meticulously maintained.
Proper maintenance and cleaning for your wash basins are essential to keep them looking their best and functioning correctly. Here are some tips to help you maintain and clean your wash basin:
- Clean your wash basin regularly with mild detergent and warm water.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads, as they can scratch the surface of the basin.
- Rinse the basin thoroughly after use to remove any soap residue or toothpaste.
- Dry the basin with a soft cloth to prevent water spots or mineral deposits.
- Check the taps and fittings regularly for leaks or damage, and replace them if necessary.
By following these maintenance and cleaning tips, you can keep your wash basin looking clean and hygienic for years to come.
Contact Everyhome Singapore to Purchase Quality Wash Basins
If you’re looking for wash basins in Singapore, a bathroom supply store will provide you with high-quality pieces that will last for decades. Everyhome Singapore is a perfect choice. We offer a wide range of washbasins in different styles, materials, and sizes to suit your needs and preferences. We also offer professional installation services to ensure that your new wash basin is installed correctly and functions correctly.
There are different types of washbasins for bathrooms: above-counter/vessel sink, under-counter, countertop/drop-in, wall-hung, corner, freestanding, and semi-recessed. Each type offers a unique look and functionality. Typical materials for washbasins include porcelain, glass, and stone, and shapes can be round, oval, or square. Whatever choice you pick, the perfect wash basin will depend on various factors such as the size of the bathroom, the style of the bathroom, and your personal preference. Lastly, remember to follow proper maintenance and cleaning tips to keep your wash basin looking its best. Contact Everyhome Singapore for bathroom products, sanitary ware, and professional wash basin installation services.
Everyhome Singapore is an online home and bathroom supply store where you can shop for your home without ever needing to step out of your house across categories like a water heater, toilet bowl, aircon, shower system, bidet spray, tap, sanitary ware, bathroom accessories and more.
WhatsApp us at +65 8241 0032 with your home product needs and we will provide suitable recommendations based on your unique requirements. Check out our product buying guides and encyclopedia of product articles to learn more about home products. We are also able to provide installation services - contact us for the best pricing!